Artel Liquid Handling Service Overview
Managing the careful balance between productivity and quality in the lab can be tough, but with the Artel Liquid Handling Service, it doesn’t have to be. Keep your focus on what matters to you—whether it’s personalized genomics, drug discovery, assay development, food safety, forensic testing, or any of the many other areas where liquid handlers are used—and let the experts on the Artel Liquid Handling Service team take care of your automated liquid handling quality needs.
Stay on schedule
— have the Artel team perform IQ, OQ, and PQs on all your critical liquid handlers to avoid downtime, and stay on schedule.
Save money on expensive service contracts
— knowing that your liquid handler is performing well can give you the confidence to delay purchasing expensive service contracts.
Keep your workflows moving forwards
— by optimizing your volume verification methods, the Artel team can help ensure that your automated liquid handlers dispense the correct volume the first time, reducing the need for re-work.
Bring your liquid handlers back online faster
— have an Artel specialist perform volume verifications for new and newly-serviced instruments and minimize instrument downtime.
Get more use out of your current liquid handlers
— knowing how your instrument is truly performing can give you the confidence to push the limits on your low-volume transfers and keep older instruments running longer.
Stay focused on your work
— remove the distractions of maintaining liquid handling quality—methods optimization, volume verifications, etc.—and stay focused on the work that matters most.
How it works
How the Service Works
Good data happens when you get an automated liquid handling expert for a day.
With the Artel Liquid Handling Service, you get a liquid handling expert in your lab for a day, a series of days, or on a regular schedule, to verify your automated liquid handling methods. The Artel specialist comes with all the necessary NIST-traceable verification equipment, and works with you to troubleshoot and/or optimize methods so you can maximize reproducibility and data quality by minimizing variability.
Step 1: Call to schedule a service
When you reach out to the Artel Liquid Handling Service, one of our specialists will discuss and assess your needs and develop a plan for the service visit. Our specialists have extensive experience with the most commonly-used automated liquid handlers that dispense critical volumes:
- Tecan (Freedom Evo, HP D300)
- Labcyte (Echo)
- Hamilton (Star)
- Eppendorf (epMotion)
- Agilent (Bravo)
- Beckman (NX, FX, 3000/4000)
Note that our diverse team has experience with a great many more liquid handlers than appear on this list, so contact us even if you don’t see your liquid handler listed here, and we’ll work with you to develop a verification plan.
Step 2: Artel specialist conducts on-site service
During the on-site service, your Artel specialist will come fully equipped to test, troubleshoot, and verify the methods and labware used in your daily workflows, collecting all the data needed for internal and regulatory-compliant reports.
Step 3: You get a regulatory-compliant report
After the visit, your specialist will help you meet regulatory requirements by providing reports in the appropriate format for your regulatory body.
Artel Liquid Handling Service Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Artel Liquid Handling Service?
- What kind of impact can Artel Liquid Handling Service have in my laboratory?
- What are the advantages of Artel Liquid Handling Service?
- What is included in an Artel Liquid Handling Service visit?
- How is liquid handler performance verified?
- What are the advantages of Artel measurement technology over other volume verification methods?
- Can Artel Liquid Handling Service be used to verify any liquid handler?
- Will I need to allocate any of my own personnel or labware resources?
- What will I need to purchase?
- How many liquid handlers can be tested in one day?
- Can I schedule Artel to come periodically to verify the performance of my liquid handler(s)?
- What are the specifications for accuracy and precision of the measurements?
- Can an Artel Liquid Handling Service calibrate multichannel pipettes?
- Is the measurement technology FDA approved?
- Why is liquid handling quality assurance important?
What is Artel Liquid Handling Service?
Artel Liquid Handling Service provides on-site performance assessment for a broad range of automated liquid handling systems. This unique, customizable service brings Artel expertise into your laboratory, where the performance of your liquid handlers can be measured, evaluated and optimized.
What kind of impact can Artel Liquid Handling Service have in my laboratory?
Artel Liquid Handling Service will benefit liquid handling quality in any environment. Concentration of reagents in microplates is volume dependent. If the correct volume is not dispensed, the reagent concentrations could differ from the required theoretical values. Without correct concentrations, assay results can be called into question or falsely interpreted. Artel Liquid Handling Service strengthens liquid handling quality – so that users can trust their assay results.
Here are a few of the many ways Artel Liquid Handling Service can benefit you:
- Parallel liquid handler performance measurement efforts within and between labs/sites can be streamlined;
- experimental, assay and data integrity are preserved;
- laboratory productivity, motivation, and confidence are maintained;
- GMP/GLP compliance and documentation are facilitated;
- method transfer and setting up automated tasks to deliver the proper (correct) volume are facilitated;
- equipment downtime and costs are reduced; and
- volume verification results are standardized; they can be compared regardless of make, model, manufacturer or location of the liquid handler.
What are the advantages of Artel Liquid Handling Service?
Artel Liquid Handling Service is faster than other services, provides you with expert Artel scientists and employs Artel technology – the acknowledged global measurement standard. Artel technology provides NIST-traceable volume measurements, whereby the volume transfer tests can be directly compared regardless of liquid handler make, model, location, or operator. Test reports, which include well-by-well and tip-by-tip measured volumes, are supplied during or immediately following the service event. Where applicable or required, summary tables and trending plots can be created. The test reports are available in HTML format and can be opened in Explorer, Excel or other spreadsheet programs. Alternatively, XML-tagged test reports can be fed into your LIMS.
Our mission is to help you meet your quality, productivity and compliance requirements. As the volume measurement experts, our professional, efficient, organized service team will communicate directly with you before, during and after the service event.
What is included in an Artel Liquid Handling Service visit?
Your service plan will be customized to meet your laboratory’s needs, and can cover such areas as:
- liquid handler tip configuration(s), target volumes of interest, plate type, number of replicates per tip, etc.;
- evaluating pipetting techniques, methodologies or even different tip types (forward vs. reverse mode; air gap usage; wet vs. dry dispensing; sequential dispense vs. single dispense, etc.);
- directly comparing multiple liquid handlers under the same test conditions;
- liquid handler performance for low-volume DMSO transfers;
- facilitating method transfer from one liquid handler to another;
- determining the best liquid handler for a specific task;
- and many others.
How is liquid handler performance verified?
Artel Liquid Handling Service uses the Artel MVS to measure volumes of solution delivered by the instruments under test. The MVS employs a dual-dye, ratiometric absorbance-based measurement method for calculating the volume of sample dispensed into a well of a microplate. The results of the verification tests are traceable to national and international standards.
Specially formulated sample solutions containing dyes of known concentration are dispensed into Artel verification plates – specialized microplates with dimensionally-characterized wells. Plates are mixed on a plate shaker to ensure homogeneity of samples. Absorbance readings are taken in the plate reader at 520 nm and 730 nm and a summary report containing the calculated dispensed volume for each dispensing tip is created.
Accuracy and precision of the dispensed volumes are measured against user-defined tolerance limits and failing values are flagged in the report. Summary statistics by well, by row, and by column are also contained in the summary report. Results are saved in a secured database and are available for printout or export in HTML or XML format.
What are the advantages of Artel measurement technology over other volume verification methods?
Artel technology provides analysis of accuracy and precision for each independent dispensing channel simultaneously, which saves labor and liquid handler down-time. The technology is virtually immune to environmental conditions and provides traceable measurements. The sample solutions are manufactured by Artel to precise tolerances using ISO-acknowledged methods. There is no need to generate standard curves. The technology provides standardized results making it possible to compare instrument performance between makes and models of liquid handlers as well as between locations, i.e., 2 µL dispensed by liquid handler X on Tuesday in Boston can be directly compared to 2 µL dispensed by liquid handler Y on Friday in San Diego. Compared to other methods, more testing events can be conducted in a shorter period of time with standardized, accurate results.
Can Artel Liquid Handling Service be used to verify any liquid handler?
Yes, Artel can assess, calibrate, optimize and document the performance of virtually any liquid handler that is capable of dispensing into a standard 96- or 384-well microplate.
Will I need to allocate any of my own personnel or labware resources?
A person from your laboratory, who is proficient in the operation of each liquid handler being tested, will be required to work with the Artel applications specialist during the service visit. Disposable tips, system fluid, pumps, source reservoirs, and other labware required for the specific liquid handler, must be supplied by your laboratory. Artel provides all testing solutions and microplates required.
What will I need to purchase?
Artel Liquid Handling Service is available in 8-hour, daily increments. Costs to you include:
- the per day charge, plus travel and living costs for the Artel applications specialist, and
- the time required for your automation-proficient technician to work with the Artel applications specialist for the duration of the service visit.
At the conclusion of the service event, Artel will provide a complete, customized summary of the testing which can include, at your option, summary tables and analysis in hard-copy or electronic form. Additionally, at your request, we can review the overall testing results with your key stakeholders.
How many liquid handlers can be tested in one day?
This depends on your lab’s needs, and your specific goals. For instance, your prime concern may be well-characterized, scheduled performance verification for regulatory compliance. On the other hand, you may be engaged in a complex and critical method transfer that you would like to optimize. With your primary requirement as a framework, the number of liquid handlers that can be processed is then dependent on:
- the length of time required to execute the liquid handler method for the test solution and diluent buffer additions;
- the number of methods/robots to test;
- the amount of replicate testing events required;
- time required to fix/optimize a method/robot; and
- any unexpected events that may affect the testing process.
Can I schedule Artel to come periodically to verify the performance of my liquid handler(s)?
Yes, Artel Liquid Handling Service can be purchased one day at a time or, alternatively, can be contracted for periodic frequencies (weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.) to satisfy your liquid handling quality requirements.
What are the specifications for accuracy and precision of the measurements?
Can an Artel Liquid Handling Service calibrate multichannel pipettes?
Many quality-minded labs use the Artel MVS for calibration of their multichannel pipettes. However, Artel does not offer a service for calibration of these instruments at this time.
Is the measurement technology FDA approved?
The technology is not subject to FDA approval because it is not directly associated with human samples or specimens. However, all measurement results are traceable to national and international standards.
Why is liquid handling quality assurance important?
Superior liquid handling quality assurance leads to superior assay data. Read more about the importance of liquid handling quality assurance.